Journey Through the Sanctuary
by Edwin M. Cotto
NOTE: This sermon is accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation. While the outline is free, we do ask for a donation of your choice. If you would like this PowerPoint, donate by clicking here and leave a comment saying “For Journey Through the Sanctuary PowerPoint” with your email information. Contact us if you have any questions.
INTRO: Illustration: Biggest house in the world!
BODY: God has a house in heaven. Read Hebrews 9:1-9. Verse 9: “it was symbolic…”
- This sanctuary/tabernacle was a model of the one in heaven. See: Hebrews 8:1-2.
- The purpose of the Sanctuary was:
(1) For God to dwell among them (Exodus 25:8) and (2) For God to reveal his plans (Psalm 77:13).
LET’S NOW WALK THROUGH THE SANCTUARY TOGETHER::
ENTER THE COURTYARD:
SECTION 1: THE ALTAR OF SACRIFICE
1) Represents Jesus (John 1:29)
2) The gate represents Jesus as well (John 10:7)
SECTION 2: THE LAVER
1) Water can represent various things, among them: Baptism
2) Water can also represent the Holy Spirit: Pentecost – Acts 2:16-17, compared to Joel 2:23, 28.
ENTER THE HOLY PLACE:
SECTION 3: TABLE OF SHEWBREAD
1) Bread can represent various things: Jesus (John 6:25) The Bible (Jeremiah 15:16, Deuteronomy. 8:3)
SECTION 4: THE CANDLESTICKS
1) Can represent God’s people (Matthew 5:14) the Church (Revelation 1:20)
2) The oil represents the Holy Spirit (1 Samuel 16:13)
3) Jesus is the light (John 8:12)
SECTION 5: THE ALTAR OF INCENSE
1) Incense represents Prayer (Psalm 141:2, Rev. 8:3-4). The Veil represents the body of Christ (Hebrews 10:19-20)
ENTER THE MOST HOLY PLACE
SECTION 6: THE ARK OF THE COVENANT
1) Perfection, Cleansing, Purification – “The law of the Lord is perfect.” (Psalm 19:7)
2) Mercy (Seat) mingled with Law (Ark) – Horns represent Mercy as well (1 Kings 2:28-29)
3) Father (Rom. 7:12), Son (John 6:51), Holy Spirit (Num. 17:8, Gal. 5:22)
CONCLUSION: From an aerial view, the whole structure looks like a cross!
- You are walking through the Sanctuary
- Jesus walked from the Sanctuary also
- Jesus started from the Most Holy Place to the Courtyard
- Jesus grabs your hand through the ANCHOR (Hebrews 6:19-20) and walks you through to the Most Holy Place.
RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH – The only way to overcome your sins is by allowing Jesus to “order your steps” – SEE: Psalm 119:133.